United Falcon Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk about my new computer, again...

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let's talk about my new computer, again... Empty Let's talk about my new computer, again...

Post  UF Bl4ckCl0ud Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:20 am

Alright, at this point I'm trying to decide between an hp dv6 quad edition with an i7 and 2gb radeon graphics, or a dell xps 15 with the same i7 and 2gb nvidia geforce graphics. Which one is better? :nyan: :nyan:
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Member
UF Member

http://yomegakicks.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about my new computer, again... Empty Re: Let's talk about my new computer, again...

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:03 am

So, it's a toss up between radeon and nvidia lol, they're both good really, but you'll need to break down the specifics of both graphics cards if you want to make a decision. I suspect nvidia will be slightly better.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about my new computer, again... Empty Re: Let's talk about my new computer, again...

Post  UF Garanas Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 am

Depends.
Radeon cards give you more performence for less money, and you can play on several screens at once.
Nvidia on the other hand give you extra effects, like physx (more moving things). But there aren't that much games that support that.

On the following website you how every card (basicly) performs, next to others.
http://www.hwcompare.com/8888/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6950-2gb/

This is just an example.

If I were you, i'd go for the radeon hd 6950.

Edit:
Make sure that the motherboard that you're going to buy supports sli (nvidia) / crossfire (radeon), incase you'd like to run 2 graphic cards at once.
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:53 am

weren't omega buying a laptop?
UF Beazt
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Bl4ckCl0ud Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:14 am

Yeah its a laptop. I have to have the laptop for college. And ok Imma look at that website but I'm probably going with radeon.
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Right, a laptop.
Was thinking about a not-so-mobile home computer Razz
Are you sure that you want to spent so much money on just a laptop?
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Bl4ckCl0ud Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:59 pm

What are you talking about "JUST A LAPTOP"? It has an i7, 2 gb graphics and 8 gigs of ram.
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 am

UF Om3g4 wrote:What are you talking about "JUST A LAPTOP"? It has an i7, 2 gb graphics and 8 gigs of ram.
Laptops are the way to go ^^ won't need a new one for several years xD They've gotten very powerful and reliable now.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:24 am

UF Om3g4 wrote:What are you talking about "JUST A LAPTOP"? It has an i7, 2 gb graphics and 8 gigs of ram.
Right now, this isn't "just a laptop", but, in 2 years, this is "just a laptop".
You can just better make sure that your home computer can run games on full detail, since those have the most upgrade options, and are mostly cheaper.
Laptops on the other hand, well, I´m not sure but I don't think that you can change anything once you've bought it.
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 am

If you want to play games at full spec, buy a console, like a ps3 or 360 ^^
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:32 am

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:If you want to play games at full spec, buy a console, like a ps3 or 360 ^^
NOooo
Consoles out date faster than PC's and you cant upgrade console. And you have to pay to play online on 360 but ps3 got hacked so PC is the way to go for games !!!
UF Beazt
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:38 am

UF Beazt wrote:
UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:If you want to play games at full spec, buy a console, like a ps3 or 360 ^^
NOooo
Consoles out date faster than PC's and you cant upgrade console. And you have to pay to play online on 360 but ps3 got hacked so PC is the way to go for games !!!
Wrong! Consoles may outdate computers in terms of hardware, but they last several years, whereas PC's need to be upgraded every year to keep up with the level of games.... consoles always keep up with the level of games because the games are optimised for a set hardware. And PC's get hacked too and cost more to upkeep than an xbox...
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:31 am

So what you're saying is that people should buy consoles over PC's because game devs have no other choice but to make games that work on consoles no matter how much better they would be if were made for current gen hardware?

IMAO only console pros are that system requirements doesn't matter and platform exclusive titles. And both of these reasons aren't enough to make console better than a PC.
UF Beazt
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 am

Consoles last for several years yes, but computers can do the same. You just need to buy the right equipment.
(And I'm not talking about spending thousands of dollars, maybe only 300)
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 am

Ok, say I spend $400 on a console, either ps3 or xbox, that have been around for 6 years, and can play games like Crysis 2, or Uncharted, or God of War, or Halo Reach (massive list) at maximum specs. Where a reasonably good computer like a core i5 which is only a year or two old can only play those same games on medium settings...
So I spend $400 for 6 years on a console... A reasonable laptop is $1000 to $2000+... a good up to date PC, which is only up to date for about 6 months, is around $2000 as well, which I have to upgrade every year for around $300 for more RAM or a better Graphics Card, or a new Mother Board.... Do you see where I'm going with this??

Upkeep on a PC is more expensive to get the same level of graphics that a console can do already.

BUT! on the other side, computers can do a lot more, like writing documents, collecting data, animation, videos, etc.

All I am saying is that for games, consoles are better in general, PC in my opinion is only good for FPS and Strategy. Consoles play better for everything else. Consoles you can have a big screen, like a 42" screen, and lie on a couch with a few pillows, and enjoy Assassin's Creed, or Batman Arkham Asylum/City, or Uncharted (can't wait for Uncharted 3 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy), or God of War, or Gears of War, or Halo:Reach ... and better still, I can watch an awesome movie on a Blu-Ray on my ps3, with a girl friend Razz
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:46 am

I think you're exaggerating a bit. It doesn't cost quite that much and you can build a PC yourself for even cheaper price.
And I see what you mean with upkeep, but any type of upkeep costs money and consoles have no upkeep what so ever.
And consoles are very limiting, from first day they come out they get older with each next day and if you want to play current gen game then old console just isn't good enough.

And if you spend 400$ on xbox360 then you end up paying for gold membership shit load of money. 60$ a year and 6 years = almost another xbox in membership alone.
I don't see reason why you couldn't plug 42" screen in computer and use wireless keyboard/mouse or the same console controller and sit on couch with a bunch of pillows and watch movies.
UF Beazt
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:36 am

The consoles aren't on the same level of details as a computer, not even close.
Next Gen games like Modernwarfare 3, Crysis 2 look way worse on the xbox then on the computer. And yes, you can run it on the best the xbox can handle, but as soon you start dual screening then the graphics are made even worse.

You can buy a computer for around 600 dollars that can play games of today on high to very high, depending on your screen resolution.
And games that come out next year, and the year after that will still be playable, but just not that high anymore.

Also keep in mind that the "thing" that makes games "next gen" is mostly DirectX. This isn't upgradeable in a graphic card, which means next gen games can still be run very nicely, but just not with those extra DirecX features.

And yes, a (good, gaming) laptop costs around 1000 dollars, and those are hard to upgrade.
That is also why I think that laptops shouldn't be used for gaming, they're only freaking expensive and in 2 years you want a new one because of the scratches and stuff!

I love off-topic chats Very Happy!
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:14 am

Have you seen Uncharted 2? It got game of the year like 6 times, it has some amazing graphics on the ps3, the xbox cannot even get close to it. So IMO ps3 still has a lot of potential even though it's quite old now. And that's why I can't wait to play Uncharted 3, it's going to be sick! And yes, PC does have more power than a console for higher graphics, but I'm more about the gameplay, and that's where I differ, I only play FPS games and a couple strategy games on the PC, everything else, I play on the consoles. And besides, when the next gen of consoles come out, then it's another 10 years of good graphics and games on a system that I don't have to change... I may exxagerate a bit, but the point is console still is cheaper in the long run.

$60 for 6 years, $360, vs upgrading a computer every couple of years around $300 each upgrade = $900

I'm not saying PC is bad, but I have a personal preference for a console because I can't be bothered upgrading. There are people that love fiddling with computers and upgrading them and whatever. That just isn't me.

Rant over Razz And yes, what an epic topic change Very Happy
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:44 am

Ye, and Uncharted 2 would had been lots better if the ps3 could handle it.
Uncharted 3 won't be that much better probably, unless they found some awesome new optimzation method, but I doubt that.

Same with Halo Reach and Halo 4. The xbox is on it's maximum already, you can't go any further.
Same for ps3 probably, every game that comes out now will pretty much look the same.

And the PC has mostly better gameplay too, you can alot more genres on the computer. Companies however are too stubborn to see that they're just not adding enough to it.

And you don't need to buy 300 dollars a year for upgrading, when the new series this year comes out, and I buy one of those cards then I'm fine for the next 3 years!
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 am

Err, dude! Uncharted 2 ran perfectly on the ps3, what are you talking about?
Sit down and play it, you will be amazed.

I know the xbox has reached it's potential. Uncharted however is what the level of detail games can have, but 99% don't. And I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about the little details, like how a character moves such as stumbling slightly on loose ground or after a jump, or touching a rock as you pass it; getting wet ankle or waist high when you walk through a stream. Huge background visuals; dodging falling objects while you are inside a falling building and trying to fight off guys shooting you at the same time. Travelling on a train with the scenery always changing as you move along, completely smoothly.

You have No idea what you are talking about when you diss Uncharted Suspect
If you want inspiration for map making, play this game.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 pm

he just wants an awesome pc to play the few games pc has to itself. but ps3 is better Razz xbox is just for shooters lol
UF OozY
UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Bl4ckCl0ud Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Agreed. And ya, I want it for that and the others, lol. But again I need it for student and profesional application as well.
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Bl4ckCl0ud
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:36 am

Back on the Uncharted: I never said that the ps3 couldn't play it, I said that if uncharted could look better and the ps3 still had a steady frame rate, then they would have had done that with uncharted 2 already, meaning uncharted 3 shouldn't look alot better.

And the rest of the topic, I forgot what we were talking about lol!
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:21 am

Put it this way, comparing the graphics from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, there is a big leap. They effectively tripled the level of detail by relying more on the ps3's processors, and barely sacrificed any framerate, it's a really smooth game.

And the developers of Uncharted, Naughty Dog, have a historical trend of making a good first game, and amazing 2nd game, and pushing the 3rd one just a little further until they can't get any more out of the system. This company knows how to push a system to the max and still perform exceptionally well. So you are right in that Uncharted 3 will not be much better in graphics, but I can definitely bet you that the gameplay will be smoother and better than before.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:24 am

We were talking about graphics Wink
I'm not sure, but is Uncharted 1 for the ps2?

Anyway. What about that laptop?
UF Garanas
UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next