United Falcon Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making Game - Idea factory

+5
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Spartan19423
UF Norway
UF Ezio
UF Vishna
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Making Game - Idea factory Empty Making Game - Idea factory

Post  UF Vishna Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:57 pm

So if we want ever to start with this project, then lets start generating ideas and later voting for best idea what we will use to make a game. Try to be as specific as you can, like story, details, mechanics, who could do what etc. Also think what we could actually make, so we wouldn't take a too big project, what will just fail eventually.

Last edited by UF Vishna on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
UF Vishna
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Making Game - Idea factory Empty Re: Making Game - Idea factory

Post  UF Vishna Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:57 pm

[Reserved for short conclusion on ppl ideas]
UF Vishna
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I'll go ahead and post my idea, a Zombie Estate kind of game, but a UF spin on it. If you don't know what the original game is, check it out here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyKQH04mQQ
UF Ezio
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:52 am

atleast something with a new spin, something original must be added.
UF Norway
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:19 am

The game (whatever it is going to be) should have some system that allows to collect and achive things. For instance, if we take the tank game, perviously given, it should have something, that if you get "x score" then you can change the colour of your tank etc. What has many players hooked on games, is that if they play, they receieve something back and that is definantly a must for games. high - or low-end games.

The second most important thing is a good soundtrack, but since we are not building a proffesional game, then I'll leave that point out.
UF Spartan19423
UF Spartan19423
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 am

UF Spartan19423 wrote:The game (whatever it is going to be) should have some system that allows to collect and achive things. For instance, if we take the tank game, perviously given, it should have something, that if you get "x score" then you can change the colour of your tank etc. What has many players hooked on games, is that if they play, they receieve something back and that is definantly a must for games. high - or low-end games.

The second most important thing is a good soundtrack, but since we are not building a proffesional game, then I'll leave that point out.
No! Take that shallow thinking out of this conversation!
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:19 am

Shallow or not, that's what gamers like. Having been a gamer for years now, its most certainly something to go for. Unless you got a brilliant plan or an idea for a game, then this is how you make an easy startup game.
UF Spartan19423
UF Spartan19423
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Ok, so I'll post my idea also.

I suggest that we should try to make a 3D mysterious puzzle game, like Myst. It would give us all something to do in this project.

Let's Play video:
Click here

It would be a longer project though, since it needs a lot of modeling, story line writing etc.
UF Vishna
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

No one is thinking small enough, we need something really small so that some semblance of a team can be put together. All the ideas so far are way too big and unobtainable at this stage. Once we have something small and successful made with a combined team, then we can strive further. It can be as simple as this http://www.java-gaming.com/game/9489/Loneliness/
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

UF Spartan19423 wrote:Shallow or not, that's what gamers like. Having been a gamer for years now, its most certainly something to go for. Unless you got a brilliant plan or an idea for a game, then this is how you make an easy startup game.
That is NOT what gamers like, it is what gamers have been fed and it's an addiction/compulsion tool that is most times used badly and shamelessly -.- Evil or Very Mad
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:38 pm

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:No one is thinking small enough, we need something really small so that some semblance of a team can be put together. All the ideas so far are way too big and unobtainable at this stage. Once we have something small and successful made with a combined team, then we can strive further. It can be as simple as this http://www.java-gaming.com/game/9489/Loneliness/
In that case(and yes you are right, at start we should make it very simple) I suggest we try making a Jumper style based game in 3D, with simple graphics and some neat add-ons

Example game picture of 2D version:
Making Game - Idea factory Papijump-04

Now add 3. dimension to it, add new things and we have ourself a simple game.

Its would be easy game what I think could be very achievable. Me and my friend even started making a same 2D version, but we never quite finished it. If you are interested, then:
Jumper Beta
UF Vishna
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:
UF Spartan19423 wrote:Shallow or not, that's what gamers like. Having been a gamer for years now, its most certainly something to go for. Unless you got a brilliant plan or an idea for a game, then this is how you make an easy startup game.
That is NOT what gamers like, it is what gamers have been fed and it's an addiction/compulsion tool that is most times used badly and shamelessly -.- Evil or Very Mad

Fed or what they like, it really doesn't make a difference now does it. You cannot argue with the fact, that it works. Has worked for many times and will work for times to come as well. That's the future we live in.

I mean take Call of duty or Battlefield series. Throughout the multiplayer you will gain levels and for that you gain guns. I'd bet if they didn't have that, players would easily get tired of the nonestop shooting, because call of duty... well let's face it, in all game types is point and shoot. Not a lot of tactics necessary.

Even halo had the system like that through the achievements. And I bet at some point we all enjoyed completing those as well.

As for the addiction/compulsion, it is up to every person themselves how much they get drawn into the game. No one is holding a gun over their head and screaming "GET THE ACHIVEMENT OR ELSE!" Very Happy . Contrary to the maybe popular belief that games get people addicted, then I'd say it's quite the way around, people get addicted themselves. It is just up to us to provide the tools, because if we don't they will just find another way to get what they want. Really all just about good business.
UF Spartan19423
UF Spartan19423
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Now getting back to the subject, back in the day when Nokia was still indestructable, it had all kinds of games on it. One of them was a spaceship game where you basically could only move up or down and shoot enemies that were coming at you, who on occasion would fire back. At the end of each level there was a boss fight. I remember playing the crap out of it, since I always wanted to get the highest score possible and each time there seemed to be a way to go just a little higher.
There was also snake. Just putting the idea out there.

If we want to go simple, then mobile games is the way to go, since they are also predicted to be the new future of gaming (Don't really want to believe that, but then again, I've heard crazyer things) .
UF Spartan19423
UF Spartan19423
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Maybe a top down view game like the arcade game in call of duty: Black ops zombies or SaS3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmaXAjDrxs maybe with leveling and some form of currency system to buy things.
UF Norway
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Already been done Norway. PSN gave games away for their Welcome Back program a year or two ago and one of them (Great game) was just like that. As I've been playing Old School games for the lets plays, one of the most subtle aspects of Spyro the Dragon was just the fact that the gems came to YOU instead of you chasing THEM. Very simple, small, and easy to make. Just an idea for whatever type we agree upon.
UF OozY
UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:38 pm

UF Spartan19423 wrote:

I gots peeps that can help me out with that. Once we solidify an idea, we'll vote and I'll take it from there.
UF Ezio
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:03 am

i used to play a game called feudalism which is fantastic, maybe something alike it???? it's where you start out with a hero and a few men and you can buy an army and weapons and armor for your hero by doing quests to get gold, then yu can conquer other cities who have better armies you can buy.
UF Norway
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 am

UF Norway wrote:i used to play a game called feudalism which is fantastic, maybe something alike it???? it's where you start out with a hero and a few men and you can buy an army and weapons and armor for your hero by doing quests to get gold, then yu can conquer other cities who have better armies you can buy.
Game idea is good, but it is too complicated idea for us to start. We need to keep this as simple as we can.
UF Vishna
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:33 am

The game (whatever it is going to be) should have some system that allows to collect and achive things. For instance, if we take the tank game, perviously given, it should have something, that if you get "x score" then you can change the colour of your tank etc. What has many players hooked on games, is that if they play, they receieve something back and that is definantly a must for games. high - or low-end games.

I definitely think that there should be some sort of scoring system to keep track of how well player is doing, however i'm not so sure about rewards.

P.S.
One of them was a spaceship game where you basically could only move up or down and shoot enemies that were coming at you, who on occasion would fire back
That game is Space Impact
UF Beazt
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 pm

UF Vishna wrote:
UF Norway wrote:i used to play a game called feudalism which is fantastic, maybe something alike it???? it's where you start out with a hero and a few men and you can buy an army and weapons and armor for your hero by doing quests to get gold, then yu can conquer other cities who have better armies you can buy.
Game idea is good, but it is too complicated idea for us to start. We need to keep this as simple as we can.

it's actually a quite simple flash game, you should play it.
UF Norway
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:35 pm

How about we start simple with a flash game? It gives us a name, fairly simple to make, and everyone (who wanted) would have a part.
UF OozY
UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:53 pm

UF Beazt wrote:

I definitely think that there should be some sort of scoring system to keep track of how well player is doing, however i'm not so sure about rewards.

P.S.
One of them was a spaceship game where you basically could only move up or down and shoot enemies that were coming at you, who on occasion would fire back
That game is Space Impact

Don't forget the other one - snake. Razz If we were to make one, I'd say let's do snake, just as a little project. Maybe put our own spin on it, like speed difficulties, different soundtrack options, and perhaps high definition graphics? Because this is just something to get us started, not a huge project. Those will come later. But I think we have all the ideas pretty much summed up in here; we seem to be agreeing in that it needs to be a simple java game, and I very much so like the nokia game ideas. Time to vote?
UF Ezio
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:28 am

So to sum up our ideas:

Flash games(Java based):

* Zombie survival
* Jumper
* Tank Battle
* Mini RTS
* Snake

So for creating the game, I have 2 ideas what program to use. Because, like it seems, we want to make it Java language based then we need Java platform to create it. If you know other programs, what we could use, let us know.

So first option is very simple: We can use Eclipse, what is good if we want to make a 2D game.

For 3D java game, I suggest jMonkeyEngine. Just discovered this program and it seems pretty good, but it more programming based, not like Unity, where you can do more visual things.
UF Vishna
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 am

I vote for snake, and we can make a skeleton of how it works and beef the crap out of the customisability of it.

A good example of what I mean is Jetpack Joyride on smartphones, it's a very simple game in mechanics, but it has a ton of content.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 am

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:I vote for snake, and we can make a skeleton of how it works and beef the crap out of the customisability of it.

A good example of what I mean is Jetpack Joyride on smartphones, it's a very simple game in mechanics, but it has a ton of content.

Second this also I use eclipse every day and personally I geany better.
UF OozY
UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next